Guest post from Tiffany @ MyLitter.
This is my front yard the morning after Hurricane Ike. In the days before we brought in all the plants and kids toys we could. We nailed down everything possible and taped all the windows.
While many people were panicking and spending all their available cash on supplies, we were comforted knowing that we didn’t need to join the rush and that we were well prepared. We ran into Walmart on Thursday evening and were stunned to see the shelves. It was a very errie feeling when your huge supercenter is cleared out COMPLETELY!
Because of couponing and my food storage there was nothing that we needed, save for some fresh fruit and vegetables.
Alright, so are you guys out east ready? What about along the Gulf coast? With hurricane memories still fresh, I have gone through our supplies this past weekend to take a little inventory. If you have a chance you might want to do the same thing.
::Here are a few food and supply items that have coupons to go with them!::
- $1.25/2 Nestle Pure Life Purified, exp. 9/9/12 (RP 07/29/12 #2)
- $1/2 Nestle Pure Life Purified Water, exp. 9/9/12 (RP 07/29/12 #2)
- B1G1 Evamor Natural Artesian Water printable
- $1/1 La Croix Water printable
- $2/2 Glade Jar Candles, exp. 9/22/12 (SS 08/26/12)
- B2G1 Glade Jar Candles printable
- B2G1 Glade Jar Candles printable
- $0.50 off Fiber One Chewy Bars
- $0.50 off Fiber One 90 Calorie Brownies
- $0.40 off Fiber One Chewy Bars
- $0.75/2 Dole Real Fruit Bites, exp. 11/4/12 (SS 08/26/12)
- $0.75/2 Kellogg’s Fruit Flavored Snacks, exp. 9/30/12 (RP 08/05/12)
- $1/2 Scrubbing Bubbles All Purpose Cleaner with Fantastik, Windex Original, or Windex Multi-Surface printable
- $2.25/1 Dirty Jobs COMPLETE Product printable
- $0.50/1 Mr. Clean Product, exp. 8/31/12 (P&G 07/29/12)
- $0.75/1 Comet Stainless Steel Item, Bath Spray or Cream, exp. 9/1/12 (SS 04/01/12 R
- $0.75/1 Mean Green Cleaning Product printable
- $0.75/1 Duracell Copper, Ultra Power, Photo or Specialty Batteries, exp. 9/30/12 (P&G 08/26/12)
- $0.75/1 Duracell Batteries, exp. 8/29/12 (RP 07/29/12 #2, Target)
- $2/1 Energizer Recharge Batteries or Chargers printable
- $2/1 Rayovac Portable Power Product, exp. 8/31/12 (SS 06/10/12 R)
- $0.55/1 Rayovac Alkaline Batteries printable
- $3/1 Rayovac Rechargeable Batteries or Chargers printable
::Supply Kit Items::
Water – at least 1 gallon daily per person for 3 to 7 days
Food – at least enough for 3 to 7 days
— non-perishable packaged or canned food / juices
— foods for infants or the elderly
— snack foods
— non-electric can opener
— cooking tools / fuel
— paper plates / plastic utensils
Blankets / Pillows, etc.
Clothing – seasonal / rain gear/ sturdy shoes
First Aid Kit / Medicines / Prescription Drugs
Special Items – for babies and the elderly
Toiletries / Hygiene items /
Flashlight / Batteries
Radio – Battery operated and NOAA weather radio
Telephones – Fully charged cell phone with extra battery and a traditional (not cordless) telephone set
Cash (with some small bills) and Credit Cards – Banks and ATMs may not be available for extended periods
Toys, Books and Games
Important documents – in a waterproof container or watertight resealable plastic bag — insurance, medical records, bank account numbers, Social Security card, etc.
Tools – keep a set with you during the storm
Vehicle fuel tanks filled
Pet care items
— proper identification / immunization records / medications
— ample supply of food and water
— a carrier or cage
— muzzle and leash (shelters require this)
Thanks to NOAA