This is a repost of a recipe I mentioned a few years back. It’s a classic in our house – so if you missed it before, check it out!
When it comes to making budget friendly meals, Walmart is a great place to find all your ingredients in one place. (I’m guessing you already know that since you are reading I Heart the Mart.) I am going for “Master of the Obvious” today!
Tonight, I went to Walmart and picked up all the ingredients I would need to make this tasty and kid-friendly meal: Pizza Pasta Bake. My total was less than $13 and it will make an entire pan of the casserole to feed 4-6 people, even more if they are little people!
This meal is so simple I am convinced you do not have to be a master chef to make Pizza Pasta Bake and it would make a great freezer meal to heat up later. This recipe calls for ground turkey. If you have not tried substituting ground turkey in your ground beef recipes, I highly suggest it. Not only is it usually a lot cheaper than ground beef, it is low fat. My family can’t really even taste the difference, either.
I also used a new product I saw on the shelves here. In the section where the canisters of Parmesan cheese are sold, is a brand called Mama Francesca. There were three varieties there. I chose the Parmesan Garlic. It really added a big amount of flavor to this dish and upped the awesome factor! If not use what you have and add a little garlic to it.
To make the Pizza Pasta Bake, you will need:
- 1 frozen lb of ground turkey ($2.58)
- 1 box Ziti or Rigatoni ($1.00)
- 1 bag of Velveeta’s shreds in Queso Blanco ($2.00)
- Ricotta Cheese, skim milk variety ($1.94)
- Armour Pepperoni ($2.28)
- Mama Francesca’s Parmesan Garlic cheese blend ($2.98 minus 55 cent peelie coupon=$2.43)
- 1 can of your choice Hunt’s Pasta sauce. I used Mushroom. ($1.00)
- 13 x 9 pan
- Large bowl
- Spoon or spatula
- Non-stick Spray
To Make Pizza Pasta Bake:
1. First, brown the ground turkey. You will not need to drain it because it is so low in fat, the moisture in it will evaporate. Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
2. When you start the browning of the turkey, also start the water for your pasta.
3. After you drain the pasta and the turkey is cooked, place them both is a large bowl. Gently fold together.
4. Add the Hunt’s Pasta Sauce and coat the mixture. Shake in the Mama Francesca’s Parmesan cheese and fold in. You don’t need a lot, about 1/2 cup will do.
5. Add one handful of Velveeta shreds and mix in.
6. Add a cup of ricotta cheese and mix the entire mixture well.
7. Pour into a 13 x 9 coated pan. Level it out.
8. Add a layer of pepperoni. Top with remaining Velveeta Shreds.
9. Place in oven for 15-20 minutes until cheese is slightly brown and the bake is sizzling.
10. Allow to rest for 5 minutes and enjoy!
Because you do not use the entire container of Mama Francesca’s cheese, you should have a bunch left over to use in other recipes. I hope your family enjoys this Pizza Pasta Bake as much as my family did!
Only about $2.00 a serving!